Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Bar Harbor must be a subdivision of heaven! It’s so beautiful, quiet, relaxing, and picturesque, invoking all the peace and serenity of a special spiritual place. Today, we started in Bar Harbor, then Acadia National Park, followed by an early dinner.
At Bar Harbor, the low tide ebbed at 10 am, exposing the narrow sand bar on the north side of the harbor, that connects the two islands, and gives Bar Harbor it’s name. You can walk across the exposed bar to the other island but you better get back to Bar Harbor before the tide starts to flow or you‘ll find yourself awash in the foamy brine. (Or you can wait until the next low tide)
At Acadia National Park, we spent several hours on Cadillac Mountain, providing a panoramic view of the ocean, islands, bays, and glacial ponds below. From the mountain, one can view the first light of day as it illuminates the USA. (If you go at sunrise!) Next, we went to the Wild Gardens of Acadia on the north side of the park. This is an excellent display of Acadia’s native plants and trees.
Finally, we went to Down East Lobster Pound, for an early dinner. Well, I’m done with lobster! The waterman was a young lady, so I guess it was a waterwoman or waterperson. Anyway, after explaining that I wanted something special, she took me to a pound that held around 40, 4-5 pound lobsters. I chose one that was almost five pounds and had claws as large as my hands. The lobster seemed angry at me but he was no problem to catch. She said that it was about 20 years old and I felt a little remorseful about choosing it, but after 17 minutes, it was on my table. Terry and our friends had stone crabs and they watched as I methodically savored the sweet, savory crustacean. (I did share a little) It was too large for the traditional lobstah crakah tool, so they brought out the reserve mallet (the mallet was a block of wood, funny-tls). It was a delicious dinner and a special treat but that’s the end of lobster for me, because I’ve now had the best!
Tomorrow the beautiful weather turns to cold and rain, so it’s WalMart and laundry mat time!
Bob
Photos below:  Having lunch at a Bar Harbor restaurant with our new friends, Wayne and Margie.  They are from Texas.  We met them at Bull Run campground outside of Washington DC and have traveling together off and on since then.  Then there is a photo of us at the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia NP.  Next is one of eating lobster and stone crabs at a local Lobster Pound.  It was an experience I always pictured in my mind of eating lobster in Maine.  Also, 30 years ago on our honeymoon we ate stone crab in Miami.  Finally, beautiful yellow Lady slipper orchids in the Wild Gardens of Acadia in the national park.



2 comments:

  1. I'm so envious of your lobster encounter. It sounds decadent. I took some pictures of lobsters in their natural habitat at Cozumel. I am going to Bangkor, Maine in October to do some grouse hunting. I hope that we can eat a few lobsters then. It's great hearing from you. We can't wait to get together again. David and Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry we will miss you here in Maine. Hopefully we will be on our boat on the way south for the Winter. Hope you have a great trip. We love Maine!

    ReplyDelete